Last Updated: January 14, 2020
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
In the course of operating any Blue Ant Media Services, we may collect two types of information about our users and customers: Personal Information and Non-Personal Information.
“Personal Information” is personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, email address, birth date and gender. Personal Information is collected by us when you choose to provide it to us when registering for a Blue Ant Media Service, such as when you choose to subscribe to a Blue Ant Media Service or newsletter, or enter a Blue Ant Media promotion. In addition, if you choose to contact a customer service representative of ours or provide us with feedback, we may keep a record of that correspondence so that we may fully address the subject matter. We may also receive Personal Information from our business partners and other third parties, provided that such third parties confirm to us that you have permitted them to share such information. Business contact information such as the name, title, business address, email address or telephone number of a business or professional person or an employee of an organization is not considered Personal Information.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We may use Personal Information for the following purposes;
- a) Providing you with a Blue Ant Media Service and information you have requested from us, including your use of a Blue Ant Media Site. We may from time to time use your Personal Information to contact you about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to a Blue Ant Media Service;
- b) If you opted-into receiving offers or information from us or certain of our selected sponsors or advertisers, we may send you email materials and other mailings about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you. If at any time you would like to end your subscription to any such email materials, follow the directions posted at the bottom of the email or the relevant website;
- c) If you enter a contest or other promotion offered on a Blue Ant Media Site, we may, under the rules of the promotion, use your name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion;
- d) We may also use Personal Information if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial, foreign or other law or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; and
- e) Account Information is used to manage your Account, to verify your credentials for logging-in to the Blue Ant Media Site or Blue Ant Media Service associated with the Account, and to communicate with you information about your Account when necessary.
We must have legal basis to process your Personal Information. In most cases, the legal basis will be one of the following:
- To fulfill our contractual obligations to you
- To comply with our legal obligations
- To meet our legitimate interests to run our business effectively, to understand how you use our services and to enable us to derive knowledge from that to enable us to develop new services and keep our records accurate and up to date. When we process your personal information to meet our legitimate interests, we put in place robust safeguards to ensure that your privacy is protected and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We will not sell or rent your Personal Information to any third party.
We will only disclose your Personal Information to third parties under the following circumstances:
- a) Where you have specifically given us your consent to disclose your Personal Information for a designated purpose;
- b) To persons acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers, solely to enable us to more efficiently provide you with a Blue Ant Media Service. Such entities act under strict contractual controls, requiring them to maintain the confidentiality of all such Personal Information and to use such information solely for purposes related to the provision of the Blue Ant Media Services;
- c) As may be set out in the Terms and Conditions applicable to Blue Ant Media Service to facilitate the provision of such service, such as fulfilling legal requirements;
- d) As required by law, including by an order of any court, institution or body with jurisdiction or authority to compel the production of information, or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; or
- e) In connection with a Blue Ant Media corporate re-organization, merger, amalgamation or similar transaction with another entity, or a sale of all or a substantial portion of the assets of Blue Ant Media, provided that the Personal Information disclosed continues to be used for the purposes permitted by this policy by the entity acquiring the information.
Your rights over your Personal Information
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These include the following rights to:
- access your personal information;
- rectify the information we hold about you;
- erase your personal information;
- restrict our use of your personal information;
- object to our use of your personal information;
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability);
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact us at the details below. You may also exercise these rights by contacting our Data Protection Officer listed in that same section below.
We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate. Where you have provided your consent to any use of your personal information, you can withdraw this consent at any time.
We will contact you if we need additional information from you in order to honour your requests.
If you no longer wish to receive non-transactional communications from us, please click the “unsubscribe” link in any email from us, update your marketing preferences in your account, or contact us at the address below.
How Do We Use Non-Personal Information?
Non-Personal Information is collected or derived by us in the course of operating the Blue Ant Media Services. In addition to our practices related to IP addresses, Cookies or Web Beacons, Non-Personal Information is used generally by us to monitor and improve the operation of our services, to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our users and customers, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific Blue Ant Media Services, to describe our services to third parties such as prospective business partners and advertisers, and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. No Personal Information will be disclosed during these activities.
We may also use Non-Personal Information to inform our sponsors and advertisers as to the performance of a particular sponsorship (such as a contest) or advertisement. In any such case, we may disclose to those third party sponsors and advertisers the overall aggregate demographics available regarding, for example, who participated in a contest or who saw and “clicked” on an advertisement. No Personal Information will be disclosed to these sponsors and advertisers as part of this process; only information in an anonymous, aggregate form will be disclosed.
- a) Monitor website usage and improve the operation and performance of our and to make our services easier and more convenient to use. For example, cookies help us to remember who you are through your browser settings so that we can offer and provide more personalized services (e.g. language preference). Cookies also allow us to save passwords and preferences and other login information for you so that you will not have to re-enter them the next time you visit a Blue Ant Media Service to sign into your Account;
- b) Measure aggregate user traffic and demographic statistics related to the Blue Ant Media Services and advertisements (e.g. number of users, average time spent, average age and similar statistics). This information helps us to better understand when to update, change or offer new services and provides us with details as to the performance of third party advertisements and content. This information may be reported, in aggregate form only, to our current and prospective sponsors, advertisers and business partners. No Personal Information will be disclosed in such reports; and
Certain Blue Ant Media Services may contain electronic images known as Web Beacons – sometimes called single-pixel gifs – that allow us to count users and customers who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. Web Beacons are not used to access your Personal Information; they are a technique used to compile aggregated statistics about Blue Ant Media Service usage. Web Beacons collect only a limited set of information, including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the Web Beacon resides. Certain Blue Ant Media Service web pages may also contain Web Beacons placed there by our advertising partners to help us determine the effectiveness of our Internet advertising campaigns.
The following table sets out the different categories of cookies that our Services use and why we use them.
|Type of Cookie [Purpose]||Source [Company]||What these cookies do||How to exercise your cookie choices|
|Newsletter cookies||Mailchimp||We use Mailchimp to send to deliver our email newsletter program. You receive newsletters when you provide opt-in consent.||More information on Mailchimp, including details on how to opt-out, is available here.|
|Analytics cookies||Google Analytics
|We use Google Analytics to collect information on how the Services are used and to report on usage statistics.
We use Comscore to collect information about how the Services are used and to provide marketing data
|More information on Google Analytics, including details on how to opt-out, is available here.
More information on ComScore cookies is available here.
|Social media cookies||Twitter
||We use Twitter communicate with our fans and share relevant information.
We use Facebook to communicate with our fans and share relevant information. We also use Facebook to deliver advertising and we ensure that our advertisements are relevant to you and to help you share your experiences with the Services with your contacts on Facebook.
We use Instagram to communicate with our fans and share relevant information. We also use Facebook to deliver advertising and we ensure that our advertisements are relevant to you
We use Pinterest to communicate with our fans and share relevant information. We also use Facebook to deliver advertising and we ensure that our advertisements are relevant to you
|More information on Twitter cookies is available here.
More information on Facebook cookies is available here.
More information on Instagram cookies is available here.
More information on Pinterest cookies is available here.
|Advertising cookies||Google Ad Manager
|We use Google Ad Manager to run our website advertisements for both direct and programmatic advertising clients.
We use Sortable to manage our website programmatic advertising program.
|More information on Google DFP cookies is available here.
More information on Sortable cookies is available here.
|Video Player cookies||Brightcove||We use Brightcove to run our onsite videos.||More information about Brightcove is here.|
You have the right to choose whether or not to accept cookies. However, they are an important part of how our Services work, so you should be aware that if you choose to refuse or remove cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of the Services.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. To do so, please follow the instructions provided by your browser which are usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” facility. Some third parties also provide the ability to refuse their cookies directly by clicking on an opt-out link, and we have indicated where this is possible in the table above.
Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies used in connection with our Services. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html for more information.
What IP Address Information is Collected and How is It Used?
An IP address is the unique number that is assigned to every direct Internet access point. Many IP addresses can generally be associated with certain Internet service providers or large organizations. When you, through your browser, request a web page or similar Internet information from another computer on the Internet, your browser automatically provides that computer with an IP address to which it will send the requested information.
Whenever you request a Blue Ant Media Service web page or certain other similar Blue Ant Media content, your browser automatically provides our computers with your IP address, to which our computers will send the requested information. Each such request is logged by our computers with information including the IP address of the computer that requested the page and is stored by our computers as needed for the purposes described in this policy.
We may use your IP address to display more appropriate and relevant content and advertising, such as content and advertising based on your geographic area. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may be reported by us to our advertisers and partners. For example, we may report to our advertisers the estimated total number of users accessing a particular Blue Ant Media Site from a specific province. We may also use your IP address to facilitate the diagnoses and remedy of a technical problem reported by you or our technical team.
What Privacy Applies to the Forums on the Site?
Blue Ant Media Sites may feature chat board or forums (collectively “Forums“) that enable our users to communicate with each other. Blue Ant Media does not moderate and is not responsible for the content that you or any user posts on any Forum. All Personal Information you post in a Forum becomes public information and may be viewed, collected and used by any visitor to the Site, and may expose you to unsolicited messages. Blue Ant Media strongly recommends that you do not post on any Forum private information about yourself or other individuals.
What Privacy Applies to User Content?
Some Blue Ant Media Sites may allow for users to post or upload User Content, as more specifically outlined and defined in the Terms and Conditions. Blue Ant Media may or may not edit, curate, moderate or otherwise check posted or uploaded User Content (depending on the Blue Ant Media Site), and is not responsible for the User Content that you or any user posts or uploads on any Blue Ant Media Site. All Personal Information you post or upload as part of your User Content becomes public information and may be viewed, collected and used by any visitor to the Blue Ant Media Site on which the User Content is posted. Blue Ant Media strongly recommends that you do not post or upload private information about yourself or other individuals in your User Content.
As outlined in the Terms and Conditions, your username may be attached to your User Content which Blue Ant Media may distribute and display through third parties. We thus encourage you to consider limiting the amount of Personal Information revealed in your username. Furthermore, if you choose to attach your real name to your posted User Content (as may be permitted by some of the Blue Ant Media Services), this will be available for all Blue Ant Media Site visitors and third parties to view, and you consent to the use of your name in this manner.
What Privacy Applies to Business Partners’ and Third Party Web Sites?
The Blue Ant Media Site contains links from and to sites operated by our business partners and other independent third parties. Once you leave the Site, you may or may not see a new URL in the location bar. Please review the linked site’s and third party content provider’s privacy policies, and if you do not agree to be bound by the terms of the policies governing that provider/site, terminate your use of that service or your visit to the site. The linked sites are not under our influence or control, and we are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices or the content of the sites operated by our business partners or other third parties or the privacy policies and practices or contents of any linked site or subsequent links from that site.
How Do We Secure Your Information?
Any unauthorized use of the Blue Ant Media Site may result in criminal and/or civil prosecution. We have policies and procedures in place to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your information that we collect and maintain, including contracts with third parties that manage the information provided by you. All Personal Information is stored on secured servers, behind a firewall at a data centre with access to data strictly controlled. Only individuals specifically involved in the analysis and other functions set out herein have access to your Personal Information. These individuals have been provided the requisite training on our privacy policies and practices.
To help ensure the privacy of your Personal Information, we urge you not to share your user name and password with anyone and recommend that you change your password frequently and store it in a safe place. If you are asked to create a user name or password, please select words that do not personally identify you. We may offer “auto login” which allows users to enter member areas of our site without re-entering password information. You may want to disable auto login on your “Set Up” page if you are not the only person using your computer.
We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we will retain your personal information for a period of time that enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes
- Comply with record retention requirements under the law
- Defend or bring any existing or potential legal claims
- Deal with any complaints regarding the services
We will delete your personal information when it is no longer required for these purposes. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
If you have any concerns about privacy procedures at our Site, wish to find out further details about how your Personal Information may be used, or want to update your Personal Information, write us at:
Blue Ant Media Inc.
99 Atlantic Ave, 4th Floor
c/o McCarthy Tetrault
1 Angel Court
London EC2R 7HJ
Or you may email us at [email protected]
Data Protection Officer
In addition to the contact information above, further to the European General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) we have designated a Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) who is ultimately responsible for all personal data matters at Blue Ant Media. If you have a specific complaint regarding your personal data or wish to invoke your legal rights under the GDPR, you can contact our DPO directly:
Mailing address same as Toronto, Canada address above